Sunday 27 April 2014

RS-10 502 gets dirty


Over the last week I decided to take a crack at weathering one of my Algonquin Locomotives.  In this case #502.  I used powders, artists oils and AK Interactive streaking effects.  I started with a coat of dullcote from the airbrush.  I mix it 50/50 with lacquer thinner.  It goes on better when thinned and a bottle lasts longer.  I printed out a couple of photos of Rs-10's to see how they weathered and got to work.  I used full strength black artist oil around the exhaust and on the sills to represent thick black oil spills.  Then I used dark rust, black and white powders to make the rest of the roof look beaten up.  I used the Ak Interactive rust streaking effects along the sill and on all the lovers.  I basically dry brushed it on.  I finished the fuel tank up with gray and burnt umber pan pastels and Ak Interactive dark streaking effects around the fuel filler.  I don't remember how I did the trucks as I weathered then about a year ago.











One thing I'm not happy with is the factory mu hoses on this unit.  They stick out way too much.  I'm going to change them out with some Cal scale brass ones.

Thanks for looking.



6 comments:

  1. I like everything about your weathering work on this locomotive. I'm working on some Penn Central locomotives right now, so I can relate to the challenges of weathering a black locomotive.

    Your scenery looks great to, by the way.

    Hunter Hughson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter thanks for the comments. Your blog has been a source of inspiration for me over the last year. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I've noticed that you have a hazy sun just above the tree line in the photo of 502, and in the shot of the CP boxcar on the siding next to the red metal shed. Are those painted into your backdrop, added later, or simply glare from some lighting? Regardless of whether it's an accident or intentional, I like how it captures the vibe of a late afternoon in October or March.

    Hunter Hughson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter

      I just noticed today August 15 I made my reply a comment and not a reply to so I am not sure if you saw the comment. I apologize for the Tardy 3 month reply. Real life has gotten in the way of the hobby for the last few months but I am back at the bench now! Anyway, here is the answer to your question.

      The light is what I call the "dreaded wall sconce". My layout is in a spare bedroom, that until recently was only lit by a double light wall sconce. It has 2 CFL bulbs in it. It really causes me a lot of trouble with photos, but every once in a while it makes the photo. I think it is the reason the CP boxcar photo was the lead photo for "Yes its a Model" in the January 2014 MRH. The switch is right by the door to the room so I just flick it on on my way in then go over to the bench work and turn on the overhead tube fluorescents. I almost always forget to turn it off before taking pictures. I installed the tube fluorescents about a month or so ago. I should have done it a few years ago. So yes the wall sconce sometimes makes a very low hazy sunset look, but it is purely by accident. I was going to do a blog entry on my layout lighting shortly. Stay tuned.
      Ryan

      Delete
  3. Ryan, I'm liking your scenery and subject matter. I model the Western side of lake Simcoe, Muskoka area, in the early 80's. I'm all CN and ONR. Where is your layout located? Are you on any layout tours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Thanks for the kind words. I apologize for the Tardy reply (3 months +), but real life has gotten in the way of the hobby for the last few months. I am back at the bench now. My layout is located on the East Side of Toronto. I am not on any layout tours. I don't even know how to get on one in fact. I started this blog in hopes of meeting other modellers to share my hobby with. If you are in my part of town sometime you are more than welcome to come and see it.

      Delete